Friday, May 23, 2008

Motherhood or a career?

Is it possible to have it all? Sitting in my living room next to my beautiful five weeks old baby, I wonder if it’s still achievable for me to have enough time to be a wonderful mom and to have a successful journalism career.

Am I capable of managing it all? The fact that I am not the only woman in this situation gives me courage and motivation, but there are also many journalists out there with the opposite situation.

The industry I am currently studying it is very demanding and consuming. We need to be on top of the news, always alert of what is happening in the world.

As I was thinking about this, I found a very interesting article in the Columbia journalism Review. In this one, Joyce Purnick (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/nyregion/columns/joycepurnick/index.html) mentions how it was easier for her to become the Metro editor of the New York Times without having children.

It is a decision that at some point we need to face or a family or a career. Perhaps some of us are capable of having them both. I guess for me, time will tell.

Check out the article in the Columbia Journalism Review (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3613/is_199807/ai_n8795299/pg_1)

No comments: